T. Jeffery Clarke Architects LLC  Return HomeReturn to Historic
The Bonner Foundation - Princeton, NJ

The Greek Revival building known as Sheldon House at 10 Mercer Street Princeton was actually built in Northampton, MA in the 1830s. Inherited by Princeton clergyman George Sheldon, it was disassembled and shipped to Princeton where it was rebuilt in 1868 to serve as his residence. In 1929, it was acquired by Princeton University and used for graduate student housing.

The Corella and Bertram Bonner Foundation, a charitable organization that supports anti-poverty programs in the areas of hunger and education, purchased the structure in the late 1990s and engaged our firm to restore the building and adapt its use for the offices of The Bonner Foundation. The first step in the process was to seek the approval of the Princeton Regional Planning Board for a conditional use variance after which we began the design process.

The structure was completed upgraded to suit the institutional use, including all new utility services along with barrier-free access that was designed inconspicuously into the rear porch, which serves as the everyday entrance. After paint analysis, the exterior was completely restored using state-of-the art restoration materials and procedures. The interiors, including offices, conference rooms and ancillary spaces, were designed to complement the original style of the building, with many built-ins and details designed by the architect. Even the lighting, while suited to office use, was designed using reproduction fixtures.

   


Historical Society of Princeton Preservation Award 1998    See book The Bonner Foundation at Sheldon House by William K. Selden    Photography by Michael Slack 
 
T. Jeffery Clarke Architect LLC - 116 Commons Way - Princeton NJ,   08540
   Phone:(609) 252-1164
T. Jeffery Clarke Architect LLC  T. Jeffery Clarke Architect LLC