T. Jeffery Clarke Architects LLC  Return HomeReturn to Historic

Joseph Henry House
Princeton University

Joseph Henry House is a National Historic Landmark building situated on the front campus of Princeton University.   It was likely designed by the noted physicist himself, for his own residence, and was built in a restrained Greek Revival style in1838 on a location close to where the Chapel stands today.   It has since been moved three times to make room for other structures and today provides balance with Maclean House on the opposite side of the front campus green.

This project adapted the residence for use as the home for the Council of the Humanities and College of Fellows, and is now part of the Andlinger Center for the Humanities at Princeton.   The work included all new utilities, connected to the campus systems, sprinkler system and integration of state-of-the art audio/visual capabilities in the seminar rooms.   A porch adjacent to one of the seminar rooms allows for a natural movement from formal to more casual space, fostering fellowship.

The roof was replaced with Welsh black slate and a dormer was added to the rear to allow for vertical circulation as well as a new rear porch to provide cover for the barrier-free entrance and to shade windows from the early morning sun.

The architect lead a team that included consulting for furniture, fixtures and equipment and also designed appropriate custom seminar tables that have fully-integrated electronic and audio/visual capabilities.   Several light fixtures were also custom-designed to utilize Greek Revival period shades found in the attic.

Finally, the signage was designed to be complementary to the period of the building.










National Historic Landmark Building -National Register of Historic Places    -     Photography by Micheael Slack
 
T. Jeffery Clarke Architect LLC - 116 Commons Way - Princeton NJ,   08540
   Phone:(609) 252-1164
T. Jeffery Clarke Architect LLC  T. Jeffery Clarke Architect LLC